General Discussion

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    joeJoe
    Keymaster

This thread is to talk about anything. Feel free to talk about your day, ask questions, or share articles, etc.

Today I came across an article about a smart cane for the blind that seems to have some cool technology:

Blind engineer invents a SMART cane that guides the visually impaired using Google maps and sensors

Direct link to the youtube video of the WeWalk Smart cane:

What do you guys think? Do you or would you like to use a (smart) cane?

MiraMira
    Participant

I would definitely use a smart cane – WHEN I decide to use one. I currently have one of those foldable canes, but I am not using it yet. In fact I should be using it in the darkness as I am completely blind by now, but my vanity and my habits is restricting me from using it. It is simply a matter of time and t
    admitting to myself that I should be – whenever walking around in the dark.
    //Mira

gooddaygoodday
    Participant

I am currently taking a training with the white cane. It is much more useful than I thought. I f haven’t  seen the smart cane yet but I will be interested to try it out.

The cane training is a little overwhelming at first but it gets easier. The biggest hurdle is for me to practice around home, weirdly. I feel very self conscious around my neighborhood as I know all my neighbors in my street and I don’t want to  explain why I am using a cane. I   still have some good useful vision but i have a hard time to go down stairs and curbs whether it’s in the dark or in the day light.I guess in my perception, the cane should be for the complete blind. I am taking the training knowing it’s good for me and safer for me but subconsciously, i don’t think i am ready to fully embrace the use of white cane yet.

However, i have taken my cane. To the city with public transportation a few times and it made me feel safer. Without the cane, i won’t  be able to do so on my own. While I was away from my neighborhood, I was actually ok to accept the cane. Once, i even forgot that I was using the cane till people around me were yelling at a bike rider behind me to watch out for me.

I don’t understand the psychological reasons behind my behaviors but i hope I can fully accept the white cane one day.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.